Teaching - Rodolfo Jalabert
QUANTUM MECHANICS (Licence Physique et Sciences pour l’Ingénieur, 3rd year)
- Introduction to quantum phenomena.
- Wave-function, Schrödinger equation and probabilistic interpretation, uncertainty principle.
- Time-independent Schrödinger equation, potential wells, harmonic oscillator, free particle, delta potential.
- Mathematical tools for quantum mechanics, postulates of quantum mechanics.
- Quantum mechanics in three dimensions, angular momentum, hydrogen atom.
- Two-level systems, stationary perturbation theory.
- Semi-classical limit, WKB approximation.
SOLID STATE PHYSICS (Master Sciences, Mention Physique, 1st year)
- Semiconductors. Intrinsic and doped semiconductors. Band curvature. Charge carriers. Electronic transport and mobility. p-n junctions.
- Magnetism. Diamagnetism and paramagnetism. Exchange interaction. Ferromagnetism and antiferromagnetism.
- Supraconductivity. Meissner effect. Critical temperature. Energy gap. Ginzburg-Landau equation. Coherence length and penetration depth. Type I and type II superconductors.
- Mechanical and optical properties of solids. Defects and dislocations. Electric polarizability of a dielectric solid. Optical spectroscopy. Electronic excitations.
ELECTRONIC PROPERTIES OF NANOSTRUCTURES (Master Sciences, Mention Physique, 2nd year)
- Electronic states, band structure, optical and transport properties. Main classes of materials according to their properties: semiconductors, normal metals, transition metals and rare earths. Compounds, alloys and disordered systems. The effect of electronic correlations, Hubbard model, localized and itinerant magnetism.
- Surface and interface electronic states. Adsorption, order, disorder and surface alloys. Growth modes: layers, islands. Electronic and elastic properties.
- Modulation doped heterostructures. Two-dimensional electron gas, magnetic field properties. Quantum wells, multi-layers and applications in optoelectronic.
- Magnetism and artificial structures. Surface and interface magnetism, giant magnetoresistance, magnetic anisotropy and introduction to spintronics.
- Transport in mesoscopic structures. Diffusive transport, weak localization, conductance fluctuations. Ballistic transport, quantum point contacts and conductance quantization.