Laser ablation is the main technique used by the growth and characterization team (SECM) at GONLO
The main activity of our department is the growth of thin films : semiconductors GaN:Mn, ZnO:Co, for its magnetic properties and magnetic oxides (ferrite, multiferroic,…).
We are using several growth techniques :
– pulsed laser deposition : the department is equipped with two ablation set-ups, one works at 355 nm, the other at 248 nm for the deposition under O2 pressure.
– vapor deposition (Joule effect, electron beam),
– growth of platelets by physical transport,
and characterization techniques:
– reflection high energy electron diffraction (RHEED), monitoring by RHEED oscillation
– X ray diffraction,
– transmission spectrophotometry,
– atomic force microscopy.
Furthermore, we are also in charge of the cutting and polishing of optical elements (like filters and crystals) with optical quality. We can also provide mirror substrates with metallic coatings.