J.-Y. Bigot is a Research Director at CNRS which he integrated in 1984 after his PhD. He then prepared a “Doctorat d’État”, which he obtained in 1987, on the study of Optical Bistable Phenomena. Afterwards he spent two years in the USA, first at AT&T Bell Laboratories (Holmdel, New Jersey) and then at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (Berkeley, California). During these two years he worked, with the team of Charles Shank, on the ultrafast dynamics of molecular systems in solution and on the electron dynamics in semiconductor quantum wells. These experiments were performed with optical pulses shorter than 10 femtoseconds and several of them are premières, giving new insights into the physics of the light-matter interaction in dense systems. Back to Strasbourg in 1990, he developed a fruitful research program on the dynamical processes taking place in polymers and in metallic materials at the Institute of Physics and Chemistry of Materials (IPCMS). For example, he has shown the existence of an ultrafast conformation change in a polymer backbone, studied the vibronic wave-packet associated to the C=C chemical bond, investigated the interaction between plasmons and quasi-particles in metallic nanoparticles, demonstrated the possibility of modifying the magnetization of ferromagnetic materials at the femtosecond time scale. This discovery has been the starting point of a prolific research field in magnetism named “Femtomagnetism”. Several international groups are now investigating this field which progresses are reported every two years at the conference “Ultrafast Magnetism” (2013: Strasbourg, 2015: Niejmegen). Simultaneously, during the years 1990-96 J.-Y. Bigot developped several research activities in the group of Daniel Chemla at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, studying the coherent properties of excitons in semiconductors.
His current interest in Physics are dedicated to the study of the dynamical processes in metallic nanostructures, using the techniques of femtosecond optical and magneto-optical spectroscopy. Jean-Yves Bigot has also been teaching the graduate level Physics courses of Nonlinear Optics and Light Matter Interaction at the University Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg. He has been the leader of the Group of Nonlinear Optics and Opto-electronics at IPCMS since 2000. He was awarded two prizes from the French Physical Society : in 1987 (Brelot award) and 2000 (Ancel award) for his studies of ultrafast dynamical processes in condensed matter physics. In 2008 he received the silver medal of CNRS and in 2009 an Advanced Researcg Grant from the European Research Council (ERC AdG). In 2011 he received special fundings (Equipex UNION) from the National Research Agency (ANR) in France to develop a new research platform dedicated to “Ultrafast optics, NanophotonIcs, plasmONics”. In 2012 he became director of the initiative of excellence Labex NIE, also financed by the ANR, which gathers 40 researchers from three laboratories in Strasbourg (IPCMS, ISIS, ICS) around the topic “Nano-objects Interacting with their Environment”.
Academic training and degrees
1987: Doctorat d’Etat (Habilitation), University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg-France
1984: PhD, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg-France
1982: Master in Physics (Condensed Matter Physics), University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg
1996 until now: Research Director at CNRS
2012 until now: Director of Laboratory of Excellence NIE
2008-12: Deputy Director of IPCMS
2000-07: Head of Optics Department at IPCMS (35 researchers and technical staff)
1989-90: (sabbatical year from CNRS) – staff at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1988-89: (sabbatical year from CNRS) – post-doc at AT&T Bell Laboratories
1984-96: Chargé de recherche at CNRS
2010-11: Master course at EWHA University in Seoul, as part time visiting professor
2003-04: Master course in Physics “Light Matter Interaction” University of Strasbourg
2001-02: Master course in Physics “Ultrafast Nonlinear Optics” University of Strasbourg
1997-2000: Master course in Physics “Nonlinear Optics” University of Strasbourg
Number of PhD students (Thesis defended since 1989): 15
2009: European Research Council Advanced Grant
2008: Silver medal of CNRS (Magnetization dynamics – Femtomagnetism)
2000: Louis Ancel award from French Physical Society (Ultrafast Processes in Condensed Matter Physics)
1987: Alain Brelot award from French Physical Society (Optical Bistability)
Member of Academia Europea
American Physical Society
French Physical Society
Optical Society of America
Leadership of scientific projects
(past 10 years – a brief scientific summary is provided at the end of the document)
– 2010-15: award winner of a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant.
Project ATOMAG (From Attosecond Magnetism towards Ultrafast Spin Photonics).
– 2011-15: Project EquipEx – UNION (Ultrafast optics, NanophotonIcs, plasmONics).
Financed by the French Government – National Research Agency.
– 2012-15: Director of LabEx “Nano-objects Interacting with their Environment” (NIE).
Financed by the French Government – National Research Agency.
Staff involved: ~40 permanent members from 3 laboratories (IPCMS, ISIS, ICS)
– 2005-08: Project “Magnetization dynamics of self-organized magnetic nanostructures”.
The project was financed by the French Government – National Research Agency.
Conferences: 72 invited, 180 talks and posters, 46 seminars in universities
Founder and organizer of the first international conference on Ultrafast Magnetism
The conference is held every two years:
2013 (Strasbourg, France): 28th Oct.- 1st November
2015 (Nijmegen, Netherland): 19th – 23rd October
– J.-Y. Bigot, T. Barisien – Excited-state dynamics of conjugated polymers and oligomers; in Femtochemistry, edited by F. C. De Schryver, S. De Feyter and G. Schweitzer (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany), Chapter 18, p. 307-321 (2001).
– J.-Y. Bigot, Femtosecond magneto-optical processes in metals, J.Y. Bigot, B. Deveaud editors, C. R. Acad. Sci. Elsevier Masson Vol. 2, p. 1483 (2001)
– J.-Y. Bigot, E. Beaurepaire, L. Guidoni, J.-C. Merle, Magnetization dynamics on the femtosecond time scale in metallic ferromagnets, J.S. Miller et al, Wiley-VCH ISBN 978-3-527-303021 Magnetism : Molecules to Materials III. Nanosized Magnetic Materials, Chap. 10, p. 355 (2001)
Expert 2011-15 at “European Research Council” (Panel 3: Condensed Matter Physics)
Expert 2005-08 at DFG (Deutsche-Forschungs Gemeinschft, Allemagne)
Expert at NSF (USA)
Expert at “Agence Nationale de la Recherche” (France)
Research topics of interest
General Topic: Ultrafast dynamical processes in condensed matter systems using femtosecond laser pulses. In 1996 J.-Y. Bigot pioneered the field of Femtomagnetism (PRL., 76, 4250 (1996)).
- Femtomagnetism (or Ultrafast Magnetization Dynamics): Magnetization dynamics of ferromagnetic metal films and nanoparticles (superparamagnetism) induced and studied by femtosecond laser pulses.
- Nanophotonics: Time resolved optical studies of individual and/or assemblies of metallic nanostructures.
- Spin Photonics: Study of magnetic devices using Kerr and Faraday magneto-optical microscopy. Some works are related to Spintronics and Heat assisted Magnetic Recording.
- Coherent molecular motion: Time resolved coherent vibrational processes of polymers and metallic nanostructures.
- Theoretical investigation of the time dependent magneto-optical response: Landau-Lifschitz-Gilbert formalism + temperature dependent effective field (two-temperature model); Dirac equation combined with time dependent nonlinear response using density matrix formalism.
Laser systems and techniques used in my team Femtomag at IPCMS:
Femtosecond laser sources:
5 kHz, 2W, 800 nm, 45 fs
10 kHz, 10W, tunable 400-900 nm with visible Optical Parametric Amplifier (OPA), 30 fs
1 kHz, 10W, tunable 1-2.5 µm with infrared OPA, 25 fs
High Harmonic Generation table-top source (20-70 eV) at 1 kHz, 100 fs
Ti:S oscillator 10 fs at 80 MHz
100 Hz, 150 mJ/pulse, 25 fs at 800 nm.
We also have collaborated with the “Femtoslicing” beam line at BESSY synchrotron (Germany) in 2010. L2 and L3 edges of Cobalt (778-793 eV).
Measurement techniques mastered:
Pump-probe spectroscopy (visible, near IR, extreme UV probe, Xrays probe)
Time resolved magneto-optical Kerr and Faraday
Magneto-optical Kerr/Faraday microscopy (spatial and temporal resolutions: 300 nm, 120 fs)
Femtosecond Four Wave Mixing: two and three beams configurations
Transport properties in sub-micron nanostructures
Cryogenic magnetic measurements: 10 T, 1.5 K supra-conducting magnet designed for pump (800-400 nm) and probe (supercontinuum: 480-700 nm) Kerr and Faraday spectroscopy
High Harmonic Generation and Xray detection in pump probe configuration
Picosecond Magneto-acoustics generation and use in pump-probe configurations.
Summary of major scientific achievements
(Past 20 years, the references correspond to the selection of articles hereafter)
Femtomagnetism : J.-Y. Bigot has been a pioneer of this field which aims at studying the magnetization dynamics induced by ultrashort laser pulses in magnetic films and nanostructures. With his team Femtomag he has performed the following studies:
– Ultrafast magneto-acoustics in ferromagnetic materials. [1, 6]
– Spin-photon interaction in the coherent regime experimental  and theoretical .
– Spins dynamics in nanoparticles: core-shell CoPt nanoparticles , self-assembled CoFeO nanocubes [submitted at nature materials], general nanostructures [3, 4].
– Transfert of angular momentum in ferromagnetic films using femtosecond X-rays .
– Effect of time dependent anisotropy on the dynamics of precession in ferromagnetic films and nanoparticles [12, 13].
– TeraHertz studies of magnetization dynamics in ferromagnetic materials .
– Magnetization dynamics under a weak perturbation of the Fermi level.
– Thermalization of spins during the de-magnetization of ferromagnetic films [16, 17].
– Discovery of Femtomagnetism 
Spin photonics: Optical control of magnetization reversal and spin transport.
– Invention of a Magneto-optical resistivity device [patent: PCTEP2014058007, authors: J.-Y. Bigot, M. Vomir, M. Albrecht, international: Europe & USA].
– Time resolved femtosecond magneto-optical microscopy .
Surface plasmon dynamics in nanoparticles:
– Dipolar coupling of Au nanoparticles interacting between themselves and with the substrate .
– Dynamics of 2D and 3D Co supracrystals: Collective vibrations .
– Electron dynamics in clusters of simple metals .
– Surface plasmon dynamics in noble metal nanoparticles: experimental [19, 20, 27] and theory .
Molecular motion of polymer backbones and proton transfer in GFP protein:
– Study of proton transfer dynamics in GFP protein .
– Wave packet dynamics associated to the backbone of polymer: experimental .
– Nonlinear optics of of phenylene-ethynylene oligomers .
– Dynamics of conformation change in polydiacetylene polymer .
Selection of important articles and conferences
Selection of articles (past 20 years)
- Ji-Wan Kim, Mircea Vomir, and Jean-Yves Bigot Controlling the Spins Angular Momentum in Ferromagnets with Sequences of Picosecond Acoustic Pulses, Scientific Reports 5 : 8511 (2015).
- Liu, S. Begin-Colin, Benoît P. Pichon, C. Leuvrey, D. Ihiawakrim, M. Rastei, G. Schmerber, M. Vomir and J.-Y. Bigot, Two dimensional dipolar coupling in monolayers of silver and gold nanoparticles on a dielectric substrate, Nanoscale, 6, 12080 (2014).
- J.-Y. Bigot, M. Vomir, Ultrafast magnetization dynamics of nanostructures, Annalen der Physik, Review article 525, No. 1–2, 2–30 (2013).
- J.-Y. Bigot, Ultrafast magnetism: Down to the nanometre scale, Nature Materials, 12, 283-284 (2013).
- J.-Y. Bigot, H. Kesserwan, V. Halté, O. Ersen, M. S. Moldovan,T. H. Kim,J.-t. Jang, J. Cheon, Magnetic Properties of Annealed Core−Shell CoPt Nanoparticles, Nano Lett. 12, 1189-1197 (2012).
- Ji-Wan Kim, Mircea Vomir, and Jean-Yves Bigot, Ultrafast Magnetoacoustics in Nickel Films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 166601 (2012).
- Hélène Vonesch and Jean-Yves Bigot, Ultrafast spin-photon interaction investigated with coherent magneto-optics, Phys. Rev. B 85, 180407(R) (2012).
- C. Boeglin, E. Beaurepaire, V. Halté, V. Lopez-Flores, C. Stamm, N. Pontius, H. A. Dürr and J.-Y. Bigot, Distinguishing the ultrafast dynamics of spin and orbital moments in solids, Nature 465, 458 (2010).
- J.−Y. Bigot, M. Vomir, E. Beaurepaire; Coherent ultrafast magnetism induced by femtosecond laser pulses, Nature Physics 5, 461 (2009).
- Lisiecki, V. Halté, C. Petit, M.−P. Piléni and J.−Y. Bigot, Vibration Dynamics of Supra−Crystals of Cobalt Nanocrystals Studied With Femtosecond Laser Pulses, Adv. Mat. 20,1−4, (2008).
- A. Laraoui, M. Albrecht, J.-Y. Bigot; Femtosecond Magneto-optical Kerr Microscopy, Optic. Letters 32, 936-398 (2007).
- L.H.F. Andrade, A. Laraoui, M. Vomir, D. Muller, J.-P. Stoquert, C. Estournès, E. Beaurepaire, and J.-Y. Bigot; Damped Precession of the Magnetization Vector of Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles Excited by Femtosecond Optical Pulses; Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 127401 (2006).
- Vomir, L. H.F. Andrade, L. Guidoni, E. Beaurepaire, J.-Y. Bigot; Real space trajectory of the ultrafast magnetization dynamics in ferromagnetic metals; Phys. Rev. Lett., 94, 237601 (2005).
- P.-A. Hervieux, J.-Y. Bigot; Surface plasmon dynamics of simple metal clusters excited with femtosecond optical pulses; Phys. Rev. Lett., 92, 177402-177406 (2004).
- Beaurepaire, G. M. Turner, S. M. Harrel, M. C. Beard, J.-Y. Bigot, and C. A. Schmuttenmaer ; Coherent terahertz emission from ferromagnetic films excited by femtosecond laser pulses; Appl. Phys. Lett. 84, 3465 (2004).
- J.-Y. Bigot, L. Guidoni, E. Beaurepaire, P. N. Saeta; Femtosecond Spectro-temporal magneto-optics; Phys. Rev. Lett., 93, 077401 (2004).
- Guidoni, E. Beaurepaire, J.-Y. Bigot; Magneto-optics in the ultrafast regime: Thermalization of spin populations in ferromagnetic films; Phys. Rev. Lett., 89, 17401-17404 (2002).
- Didier, L. Guidoni, G. Schwalbach, M. Bourotte, C. Pigault, J.-Y. Bigot “Ultrafast gain dynamics of the green fluorescent protein” Chem. Phys. Lett., 364, 503-510 (2002).
- J.-Y. Bigot, V. Halté, J.-C. Merle, A. Daunois; Electron dynamics in metallic nanoparticles ; Chem. Phys., 251, 181-203 (2000).
- V. Halté, J.-Y. Bigot, B. Palpant, M. Broyer, B. Prével, A. Pérez ; Size dependence of the energy relaxation in silver nanoparticles embedded in dielectric matrices; Appl. Phys. Lett., 75, 3799-3801 (1999).
- V. Shahbazyan, I. E. Perakis, J.-Y. Bigot; Size-dependent surface plasmon dynamics in metal nanoparticles; Phys. Rev. Lett., 81, 3120-3123 (1998).
- M. Moroni, J. Le Moigne, T.-A. Pham, J.-Y. Bigot, Rigid rod conjugated polymers for nonlinear optics. 3. Intramolecular H bond effects on poly(phenyleneethynylene) chains, Macromolecules, 30, 1964-1972 (1997).
- D. S. Chemla, J.-Y. Bigot, Ultrafast phase and amplitude dynamics of coherent transients in semiconductor quantum wells (Invited Paper in the special issue (Confined Excitations in Molecular and Semiconductor Nanostructures »), Chem. Phys., 210, 135-154 (1996).
- J.-Y. Bigot, T.-A. Pham, T. Barisien, Femtosecond time resolved molecular dynamics of a polydiacetylene backbone, Chem. Phys. Lett., 259, 469-474 (1996).
- E. Beaurepaire, J.-C. Merle, A. Daunois, J.-Y. Bigot, Ultrafast spin dynamics in ferromagnetic nickel, Phys. Rev. Lett., 76, 4250-4253 (1996).
- P. Wautelet, M. Moroni, L. Oswald, J. Le Moigne, T.-A. Pham, J.-Y. Bigot, S. Luzzati, Rigid rod conjugated polymers for nonlinear optics. 2. Synthesis and characterization of phenylene-ethynylene oligomers, Macromolecules, 29, 446-455 (1996).
- J.-Y. Bigot, J.-C. Merle, O. Crégut, A. Daunois, Electron dynamics in copper metallic nanoparticles probed with femtosecond optical pulses, Phys. Rev. Lett., 75, 4702-4705 (1995).
- T.-A. Pham, A. Daunois, J.-C. Merle, J. Le Moigne, J.-Y. Bigot, Dephasing dynamics of the vibronic states of epitaxial polydiacetylene films, Phys. Rev. Lett., 74, 904-907 (1995).
Selection of invited talks as keynote or plenary speaker at international conferences (past 10 years)
- J.-Y. Bigot “At the frontier between ultrafast optics and magnetism” invited conference at the General Physics Congress of the French Physical Society, 24th-28th August (2015).
- J.-Y. Bigot, J. Kim, M. Vomir, O. Kovalenko “Ultrafast Magneto-acoustics in Magnetic Materials”, invited presentation at MMM’2014, 59th Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Honolulu, Hawaii, November 3-7 (2014).
- J.-Y. Bigot, J. Kim, M. Vomir, O. Mosendz, S. Jain and D. Weller “Femtomagnetism in FePt nanoparticles for Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording”, M’SNOWS 2014, International Workshop on Nanomaterials, Nancy (France), 8th -11th September (2014).
- J.-Y. Bigot, H. Kesserwan, V. Halté, M. Vomir “Ultrafast magnetism in nanoparticles studied with femtosecond laser pulses” E-MRS 2014 Sring Meeting, Lille France, May 26-30 (2014).
- Jean-Yves Bigot, Michèle Albrecht, Mircea Vomir “Controlling the transport properties of magnetic devices with magneto-optics”, SPIE Photonics West 2014, San Francisco, California USA, February 1–6 (2014).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Controlling spins and magnetic materials with light pulses”, ICAMD 2011 “7th International Conference on Advanced Materials and Devices”, December 7-9th 2011, Jeju South Korea (2011)
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Femtomagnetism : a review”, Conférence Invitée à Photoinduced Phase Transitions and Cooperative Phenomena (PIPT 4)”, Varsovie, Pologne 28th June – 2nd July (2011).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Coherent magnetization dynamics studied with ultrashort laser pulses”, FIRST-QS2C WS on “Emergent Phenomena of Correlated Materials”, December 12-15th 2011, Okinawa, Japan (2011).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Coherent processes in the ultrafast magnetization dynamics”, Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics / Quantum Electronics & Laser Science Conference (CLEO/QELS 2011), Baltimore, Maryland, USA 1-6 Mai (2011).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Ultrafast magnetism : visualizing the transfer from orbital to spin angular momentum”, Gordon Research Conference – Ultrafast Dynamics in Cooperative Systems, Feb 28-th March 5th, Galveston, Texas – USA (2010).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Coherent ultrafast magnetism”, APS March Meeting 2010 – March Meeting of the American Physical Society, March 15 – 19th, Portland, Oregon – USA (2010).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Ultrafast transfer of angular momentum in ferromagnets”, 7th International Symposium on Ultrafast Surface Dynamics (USD7), August 22 – 26th , Brijuni Islands – Croatia (2010).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Femtomagnetism: inducing and probing magnetic changes in ferromagnetic metals”, 2nd Sino-French Optoelectronics Symposium, Wuhan, Chine November 2nd -4th (2010).
- J.-Y. Bigot, C. Boeglin, M. Vomir, V. Halté, E Beaurepaire “Ultrafast Magnetism : coherent processes and angular momentum transfer” 17th International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena, Snowmass Village – Colorado, USA July 18th – 23rd (2010).
- J.-Y. Bigot, Coherent Ultrafast Magnetism, March Meeting APS (American Physical Society), Portland, OR, USA (2010)
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Magnetization dynamics of ferromagnetic nanostructures studied with femtosecond optical pulses”, 12th MORIS_09, June 16th − 18th, Awaji Island – Japon (2009).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Ultrafast magnetization dynamics of cobalt nanoparticles and individual ferromagnetic dots”, March Meeting APS (American Physical Society), Pittsburgh, PA, USA (2009)
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Femtosecond imaging of the spin dynamics of CoPt3 nanostructures”, CLEO/IQEC Europe Munich, Germany June 17-22 (2007).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Ultrafast Magnetization Dynamics investigated in real space, 50th Conference on Magnetism & Magnetic Materials”, San Jose, CA, USA (2005).
- J.-Y. Bigot, “Ultrafast dynamics of metallic nanoparticles”, ISSPIC 11th, Strasbourg, France (2004)